Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Shopaholics Anonymous: Why Is It So Hard To Balance Our Budgets?



Rockin' my $8 earrings like a champ.
As someone who sometimes spends an embarrassingly absurd amount on clothing, jewelry, makeup, and shoes (seriously, I was contemplating putting two-months worth of rent money toward a pair of Louboutin’s...), I’ve really been making an effort to find great deals with great prices without making a huge dent in my dollar supply. We all know that my shopping habit is not gonna go anywhere anytime soon (an affliction I will probably suffer from for the rest of my life...) and it will probably only get worse if I don’t take action now. So, out of fear for my future finances, I’ve devised a formula for myself and for all of my fellow shopaholics that we must embrace during every shopping trip. 
Okay, so you see an $80 black dress at Express that you absolutely adore, you try it on, and it’s perfect. You wanna buy it. You really, really wanna buy it. So this is where the first step of my formula will come in handy. The first question you must ask yourself is this: Do I have it? Now, for example, you might start thinking about the other little black dress you bought at Urban Outfitters a month ago that you haven’t even worn yet. What if this Express dress receives a similar fate? Chances are, it probably will. There is no need to buy clothes that you already have so try prioritizing your money toward different looks that are unfamiliar to your wardrobe- in keeping with your own, personal style, of course!
Alright, now you’re in Nordstrom’s and you’re browsing the Ugg shoe collection. You’ve been wanting a pair of beige slippers to keep you cozy for a while now, and they only have them in pink. You’ve never really been a huge fan of pink, but you’re willing to spend over $100 on this pair because you’ve been desiring a comfy pair of slippers longer than a convict at Alcatraz waiting for a chance to escape. So this is wear the second portion of my formula comes in: Ask yourself, do I want it? Of course you don’t. You hate pink. Never buy clothes you don’t truly want.
Now you’re at Francesca’s browsing all of the awesome jewelry. You’re caught up in the glisten of the rings, the intricately beaded detailing of the necklaces, and the glossy surfacing of the bracelets. You want to buy all of it. Now, for the third part of my formula, ask yourself if you need any of these items. You start thinking about your own jewelry collection and how it gives the one at F’s a run for its money. If you don’t really need an item, there is really no point in purchasing it.
Okay, here comes the last part of my formula. You’re in Victoria’s Secret now and the bra you’ve been wanting is only there in a 34 B cup. You try it on, it fits okay, but not as perfectly as a bra in your own size of a 34 C, but you’re still willing to buy it. This seems like a no-brainer, but so many shopaholics skip over this question: Ask yourself, does the item fit? Of course it doesn’t. So please, please, please don’t buy clothes that don’t fit. Make sure you purchase clothes that are fitted, yet flattering to your own, unique body type.
My bargain of an outfit.
So please, next time you go shopping think of my formula: Do I have it? Do I want it? Do I need it? Does it fit? Another piece of advice you must never forget is whether or not an item is worth it. I always feel like I’ve struck gold whenever I find a good bargain, so don’t be afraid to browse through a sale section because you never know what you might find. In the pictures attached to this post, the shirt I’m wearing was on clearance at Target for $15 and my earrings were only $8. Though I’m generally a small-medium, this shirt is an extra-large. I knew, by itself, the shirt would have looked immensely huge, especially with the extra fabric, so I wrapped a skinny, brown belt around my midriff, cinching in the piece for a stylish, more fitted look. So, if you ever come across a great bargain, be aware of how an item will appear on you and, especially, be conscious of the ways in which you might be able to tweak a piece to fit your own body frame. On that note, thanks for reading and happy, happy shopping!! 
Strike a pose.

P.S. Please try and refrain from drunk online shopping. Always bad news...

No comments:

Post a Comment