Sunday, May 6, 2012

Let Them Eat Cake: When is It Time to Take Off Our Rose Colored Glasses?


As some of you may know, the famous phrase “Let them eat cake” was supposedly uttered by Marie Antoinette during the French Revolution in response to the rebellious social atmosphere instigated by the impoverished, oppressed masses. Fortunately, for me, these words have inspired my next blog post- a blog post, I’m ashamed to say, that I have been weary to write simply because of the degree of criticism I might receive, or even the potential backlash from readers who absolutely hate my writing. These particular concerns are what drove me to stop writing for approximately the past month and, I know it may seem rather petty, I realized that placing myself on such a platform in which judgment was inevitable isn’t necessarily the smartest move. Specifically, when anyone joins the blogosphere, especially if their blog acquires the attention of a solid amount of people, you will receive harsh opinions, and ones that will very likely hurt you.
So, I’m sorry that “The Open Book” has been so, well, open, and I’ve learned what is okay to write about and certainly what is not. If, however, some of my future posts offend anybody, I really am sorry, because I’m the one who needs you more than you need me. I’m the one who wants a larger, stable audience because I really never know who could be reading- maybe it’s my next employer, maybe my future in-laws, or maybe even my idol Britney Spears. I really never know.
With that said, I will make a true, honest effort to keep my rose-colored glasses far from my reach, and think about what I write before I post. And, in any upcoming posts, I may unknowingly include a sentence or two that might make me sound like a huge idiot, like Marie Antoinette, or maybe the smartest girl in the world, but I will do my best to focus on writing about topics that are interesting, without offending my readers. 
I am only human, after all, and we were born to make mistakes, but it is learning from them that makes us better, and that is all I can promise to do. So a great thanks to the people who are supportive of me because it means more to me than I could ever put into words. So thank you, thank you, thank you!! xxx 
P.S. Will strictly stick to content regarding politics, music, and the other intellectual, boring topics I presented in my profile blurb. (And, of course, some astrology from time to time...) 

No comments:

Post a Comment