Sunday, December 8, 2013

Self-Actualization: What Do I Value as a Filmgoer Most?


More than many people I know, I believe that I have a true respect for the art of entertainment. This may be more because my family is heavily involved in the arts, and I was introduced to the arts at a very early age, but I look at the field of entertainment just as Neil Armstrong viewed aeronautical engineering. Or even how Florence Nightingale viewed medicine, and even how my most wonderful Grandpa Peter views architecture (among his many interests, because I actually think he holds a love and respect for each field I just mentioned...). Nevertheless, when I view films, attend a play, or even go to a concert, the production’s ability to cultivate an awareness that this particular piece of entertainment is just as essential to me as a roof over my head, the clothes on my back, or the food I eat is what I need as a filmgoer. Specifically, I need the film to give me an experience of self-actualization
According to Abraham Maslow, in order for human beings to reach their potential, feel safe, and find happiness, they must have their physiological needs met, a sense of safety, love, esteem, and, finally, must experience self-actualization. I believe that movies, films, literature, and any other piece of art that furthers my process of self-actualization are those I value and remember most. So, to answer the question of what I value as a filmgoer, or what I value most about entertainment, is the ability to propel my innate need of self-actualization. The beauty about true, quality entertainment is that it does all the dirty work for you - all you have to do is watch a movie, rather than really experience something grand, life-changing, or even traumatizing, and it will get you on the right track to becoming...self-actualized, if that makes any sense. 

No comments:

Post a Comment