Monday, March 30, 2015

Building Mercutia, Part I: Wanna Watch Me Work?


I definitely have a process when it comes to building a character, and it certainly doesn’t happen over night. For me, to really know and own a character, it is imperative that I know the entire text in which my particular character is written, especially so I can conjure the perfect backstory, the perfect energy, and the perfect level of subtext before I portray an imagined persona. Sometimes, the objectives and contextual meaning of a character are already pretty clear, meaning less character work. Yes, please do not do unnecessary work for a character if you don’t need to, but, since my latest endeavor is developing the character of Mercutio, or Mercutia (female), it’s gonna take a little bit of work to execute my vision. 

So I decided to re-read Romeo and Juliet today, and I will read it several more times so I know it inside and out in order to develop Mercutia as smoothly as possible, but, in this post, I just wanted to provide a rough outline of my vision for this little lady. 

Mercutia is:

*Female and flawless.
*Outspoken and proud
*A beautiful comedian/model/wit
*Humanist
*Hilarious
*Creative (especially in the kitchen)
*Shoe lover
*An incorrigible flirt
*A great role model for girls
*Genius
*Hardworking
*Did I mention a remarkable wit? HOW DOES SHE COME UP WITH ALL OF IT?!
*Gold digger (kidding!!!) - she prefers the term “survivor” ;-)
*Supporter of the underdog, yet unafraid to knock the little guy out w/some tough<3
*Loves a glass of (responsible) wine with her girls 
*Icon

So there you have it! This is just a rough sketch of what I intend to bring out of Mercutia!
I promise I’ll beef it up, but this is just the beginning.

AND THANKS FOR READING! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment