Sunday, January 13, 2013

Kindness: Why So Underrated?

"During my second year of nursing school our professor gave us a quiz.  I breezed through the questions until I read the last one:  'What is the first name of the woman who cleans the school?'  Surely this was a joke.  I had seen the cleaning woman several times, but how would I know her name?  I handed in my paper, leaving the last question blank.  Before the class ended, one student asked if the last question would count toward our grade.  'Absolutely,' the professor said.  'In your careers, you will meet many people.  All are significant.  They deserve your attention and care, even if all you do is smile and say hello.'  I've never forgotten that lesson.  I also learned her name was Dorothy."  ~Joann C. Jones

When I'm bored, I'll often sit in my comfy bed and google quotes. I won't just breeze through these little quotes, I read them, I absorb them, and I love them. I could do this for hours - and I have! of course, only in my free time - but I came across the quote above and I fell in love with it. I actually have work at 1, so I'm gonna hurry, but it really sums up much of what I believe about life.
I remember, the spring break of my Junior year in high school, I went to England and visited my family. I was staying with my grandparents, and my Grandpa Peter shared a little story with me that I'll never, ever forget. (Honestly, having a conversation with him is like speaking to Socrates or Leonardo Da Vinci- he's a true Renaissance Man, and I love listening to his philosophies on life, love, and the universe.) Anyway, he was joking around with my father (his son) a while before and my Grandpa Peter asked him, "So, Leigh, who is your favorite daughter? Come on, you must have a favorite?" (Referring to me and my sisters - I have an older and a younger one, who are both approximately three years apart from me.)
Apparently, my father responded, "Well, I love all my girls the same, but Eloise is the kindest, and she will be the kindest."
At the time, I didn't really think much of it because I was only 16, but now I think of it as the most amazing compliment anyone could ever give me, or anyone for that matter. It really got me thinking that kindness, compassion, and selflessness are true keys to happiness and content. Letting go of your self and thinking of others before your own desires or wants is authentic, genuine, and true happiness. (Note: I wouldn't learn any of this if it weren't for my father and amazing family who taught it to me!! So, Kudos to them!)
 And the reason I choose to share this story is to show some of my readers that kindness not only benefits others, but yourself. I know it may seem contradictory because, through kindness, you have to, in essence, let go of yourself, but kindness and compassion provides an air of happiness for everyone. Life's too short - so, please, smile at someone today, make a little more of an effort to show you care about people who need a little more love, or even say a nice word to an individual who needs to hear something sweet. The possibilities are endless, but they're never harmful. So, please, live kindly and compassionately with love - it will come back to you in the end. 
That is all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment