Monday, July 4, 2016

"Dead in the Water" by Eloise Banting

Natalie Wood
I called for help, 
But nobody heard,
I called for freedom,
There was no word.

Forgiveness I sought - 
For what I didn’t commit.
It was, I thought - 
A crime of such wit.

For if it were,
I’d have earned this punishment!
For if it were,
I’d have earned this abasement!

But she committed no crime,
And she committed no murder.
For such undeserving time,
And nobody heard her!!

For she cried all night,
So loud and clear -
She couldn’t win the fight -
And nobody was near!

She was pushed down a hole,
So deep and wide,
She fell down so hard,
And was buried alive!

No coffin for her,
No ceremonial death.
Like a Vestal Virgin,
And everyone left.

So dumb, so foolish!
Everyone thought of her -
She is not dumb nor foolish,

Simply dead in the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment