Sunday, September 15, 2013

Another "Edward Scissorhands" Post: Influential Movie or Representative of this Era in American Film?

This is the town of "Edward Scissorhands." In the far right corner, notice the home with the striped covering for bug extermination. Do you think it belongs to Kim Boggs' neighbor, or do you think Walt and Jesse are in there cooking up a storm? Napoleon Dynamite could be living down the street for all we know. (Click on the image to get a better view, but this was the only picture of the home I could find and one can barely see it...)

I know I’ve been pretty wishy washy with the future of my blog, but I felt inspired to reopen it after watching “Edward Scissorhands” a few days ago. I’ve written a post about the film before, but when I watched it this past Thursday I made even more discoveries about the picture. So I came to the theory that “Edward Scissorhands” is possibly one of the most influential films, or one of the most culturally powerful, of the 90’s after uncovering several motifs and images in the movie that are present in “Breaking Bad,” “Napoleon Dynamite,” and, I know this is a stretch, “Titanic.”
I’ll make this short and sweet, but it made me wonder that even if “Edward Scissorhands” did not influence those films, the presence of American consumerism, the struggle to maintain wealth - whether it’s through selling tupperware, Avon products, or marriage - and complicated love stories are such strong components of American filmmaking, especially in the last twenty years or so (even though Cameron is Canadian, and there are different directors for “BB” all the time, we could look at “Titanic”  and "BB" as essentially “American” works - the directors for “Napoleon Dynamite” and "Edward Scissorhands" were American anyway...) I just thought this was interesting to think about, and there are several, several, several more images, scenes, and motifs I noticed between each of these productions, especially with the suburban backdrop in “Edward Scissorhands,” “Breaking Bad,” and “Napoleon Dynamite.” In reference to “Titanic,” Rose is presented to us as an old woman reminiscing about her first love, as is Kim in “Edward Scissorhands.” 
So, my final question to you is this: Do you think “Edward Scissorhands” had some type of direct influence on “BB”, “Napoleon Dynamite,” and “Titanic,” or do you think these works fall in a period of filmmaking that dissect issues revolving around consumerism, desire for wealth, etc., causing them to have similar images, concepts, and motifs? (And even though "Edward Scissorhands" was released approximately 23 years ago, and the release of the other works were more recent, artistic periods can last decades...)

No comments:

Post a Comment