Thursday, April 27, 2017

"Forget Me Not"

Forget Me Not

By Eloise Banting

Forget me not -
Forget me never -
Your heart I sought -
Born to be together!

So I give you this seed -
This seed of faith - 
It is born of our creed -
It will keep you safe!

I planted my first when I was only five -
I said a prayer over it to see you in time.
And when it bloomed I wore it everyday in my hair -
So when I blossomed too - you’d stop&you’d stare.

Then you saw me in time -
At the baker’s shop!
Do you remember the flower in my hair?
When you thought that sweet thought??

Days had passed -
And so had the great moons!
We lived in joy!!
(Yet danced on our tombs)

But remember that flower??
Well, that sweet flower I kept!
I dried its soft petals -
In my gold locket they slept!

They bring me luck -
When I walk through the street -
They give me protection -
When the 2 devils lie&they cheat.

The first time I met them - 
The night eclipsed the street.
They were watching and watching -
I could hear the march of their feet.

So I heard them coming -
Faster and faster!
So I sped up -
And my locket I clasped her!

The first devil nearer -
Grazing my thigh and my hip -
The second more eager -
Pressing his fingers against my lip.

Then the first one lifted a gun to my head -
(Holding me closer and closer)
When he finally said -
Give me your money, Your body!
Or I’ll shoot you dead!

I said I have nothing!
Please let me go free!
Just this locket -
One you may keep!

He snatched it off my neck -
And broke the chain -
He opened the lock -
And the petals - to the ground they rained!

So I fell to the ground -
And I knew they would run!
I fell to the ground!
Picking up my petals one by one!

So I darted home -
And held you so close, so tight!
I sewed the petals in your favorite coat!
So you’d stay warm if they take you at night!

Then they broken in soon -
In the closet did I hide -
They knew you were there -
With your polymath mind!

SO away they took you -
But I ran after with my bare feet.
They beat you so mercilessly -
And dragged you through the street!

But I could not let you go -
Without this one thing -
He needed his blessed petal coat -
SO to him the angels would always sing!

They glared&they glared -
And surely said okay -
Searched it for guns, for gold -
And said on his back it can stay!

They said to flee -
And never come back -
But all I saw around me - 
Was death in its tracks!

To my right was a daughter -
Who would never be the same -
Holding her father’s lifeless hand -
After a bullet to his brain.

To my left was a mother -
Being pushed around by three!
To my front were my friends -
Hanged in the sweet trees!

Below my feet was glass -
From our baker’s shop window -
At the door was his body -
And streaming eyes of his widow.

But what do you do -
When tragedy itself abounds?
Does it make it less tragic?
When tragedy surrounds?

The loss of a child -
Too hard to bear.
The loss of a million??
They play, they play(they die)at the Godless fair.

I knelt & I prayed -
To the heavens & those universal gods of grace -
I was told to run home -
To plant my seeds in the back garden vase!

Yet a life without him -
Is no life at all!
But he is cloaked in my love!
And the petals of the fall!

So forget me not -
And forget me never -
Your heart I caught -

We are always together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment