Friday, April 7, 2017

"Hope - Know My Worth" by Eloise Banting


Hope

I was born to heal -
Compressed into beauty -
From coal to something real -
To make those I touch free.

But so roughly I was FOUND -
By a man who did not know my worth -
I was found from my sparkle UNDERGROUND -
I was found in the beauty of Earth.

They took me away -
To be carved into their currency -
They said in your Eden you cannot stay -
Because you belong overseas.

---------------------------------------------

You will give me fortune -
You will give me fame.
Though you were born to heal -
I will force you into a bejeweled frame.

But I will pass you along -
Among my parasites - my friends -
I will lock you in my closet -
Because your profitable sparkle never ends.

Though you were born of the great spirit -
To give life in those that sold you - 
I will sell you and I SOLD you -
Because you will give me profit.

---------------------------------------------

But those deserving of me -
Know my worth so sweet!
And those who cannot see -
How my healing powers cannot be beat -

Are the ones who lose -
The goodness of my soul -
For they so self-righteously choose -
To see me as gold - more gold!

I was carved by the high man -
I was carved by the corrupt pope -
But I am not 'The Hope Diamond' -
I want to be just hope.

Yet you see more value -
In those jewels in the flood -
Not the ones passed around -
More than the diamonds of blood.

No man can see my worth -
Even the ones who crave -
The spotlight for protecting -
My bloody peers from their blood grave.


No comments:

Post a Comment