Saturday, November 24, 2012

My Infamous TuTu: Why Do Boys Hate It?


As most of you may know, I recently purchased the Karinska Tulle Skirt by Alexandra Grecco and I am absolutely fascinated by the fact that girls drool over it and guys are wholeheartedly repulsed by it. When I initially saw it in the November issue of the Anthropologie catalogue, I was crazy for it. I thought it was one of the most beautiful pieces I had seen in a while and I knew I would regret it if I didn’t get it. So, the next day at work, I came to find that so many of my co-workers ordered the same skirt. We all loved it. 
So I was out last night and I executed somewhat of an experiment. I had a picture on my phone with me wearing it, and I asked girls what they thought of it and I asked guys what they thought of it. Almost every girl thought it was the most adorable little skirt in the world, whereas guys had a more, how should I say, perplexed reaction. One of my good friends began ranting about how much he hated it, stating “You wore that out?! You look like an idiot, never wear it again...blah blah blah” He continued for a good 7 minutes. It was pretty humorous I have to admit, and there were a couple of other guys who felt the same. One claimed that I was trying to look like a Disney princess, which I adamantly denied (even though secretly I feel like a princess every time I wear it....).
But I’m just intrigued by the fact that guys really hate it and girls absolutely love it. Why is that? Why do boys think it’s the ugliest piece of clothing while girls think it’s the most amazing? So I began thinking and thinking and thinking. Yesterday, there were a couple of girls aged 4-7 years old who came in to work with their moms wearing similar ensembles, literally. There was one little girl who was wearing a red dress that looked exactly like mine, except my ensemble was white. All of those little girls absolutely loved my outfit, and I loved theirs. Do you think it’s because girls will never grow out of their princess obsession? Why do we love it? I even had a Sleeping Beauty princess theme for my 3rd birthday...

No comments:

Post a Comment