Sunday, November 25, 2012

Gossip Queens: Giving Girls a Bad Name?

"One Winds on the Distaff What the Other Spins"
by Pieter Bruegel the Elder
(Second Half of the Sixteenth Century)

I’ve had a similar post discussing this topic, but it is an issue that never seems to disappear. Despite this, I have found that consistently talking about the detriments of female gossip is a way to help overcome this toxic cycle. I’m sure, especially if you’re a girl, you’ve experienced being a target of slander and we all know it’s not a pretty feeling. What I’ve discovered, however, is that not all girls are mean or vicious. (Of course we’ve all been a little gossipy- even guys have their moments, but it is so, incredibly sad that some ladies think all women are like this.)
I truly value my friendships with girls and some, if not all, of my best friends are females. We don’t have toxic relationships, we don’t talk or bitch about each other behind our backs- we’re really honest with each other and we would never do or say anything deceitful. When you say something about a girl behind her back that you are not willing to say to her face, that’s when you know you’ve said something seriously fucked up.
So, I disagree with the notion that “all girls talk shit” because, no, they don’t. Of course we may say things about others in passing, but that’s not necessarily “gossip,” it may just be about wondering about how someone is doing, if they’re okay, or that you miss someone, for example. I’ve grown up in a household of girls, and I am a wholehearted girl’s girl inside and out, and I find it so pitiful that some women automatically assume that girls are awful people who just spread falsehoods about others. No, that’s not the case and girls who believe that are usually the ones who do the most gossiping, so we can just feel sorry for them...

No comments:

Post a Comment