Friday, August 17, 2012

A Fashion Statement: Has Personal Style Become a Misunderstood Art?

My 2-yr old favorite $12 gray sweater!
Worn with a gray scarf and statement earrings.
I put the photo in black and white b/c it made no difference
in the representation of the sweater, since it's already gray,
 blending in well with the overall tone of the photograph.

Since it’s my birthday today, and I can do whatever the hell I want, I’ve chosen to take some time out before tonight’s festivities and write about a topic that is of incredible significance to me and several other expressive, unique individuals. This particular topic concerns a medium through which I find unparalleled fulfillment and joy, where I find tranquility and, often times, a much needed break. It has definitely become a passion for me, and I look forward to cultivating this devoted interest of mine as I grow as a person, a potential career woman, and, ultimately, as a girl with an uncommon, severely eccentric (in the best way possible!) artistic vision that I can share with others in every realm of my life. There is no perfect, absolute way people may define themselves, but, for me, I find expression through various means like writing, painting, music, entertainment, reading, and, especially, fashion.
Yes, I hope you heard right, I absolutely adore fashion. I’ve stalked the pages of Vogue online, I’ve read Lauren Conrad’s Style from cover to cover, and I’ve watched almost every movie based on CoCo Chanel’s life. I’ve intellectually analyzed the ensembles worn by the Sex and the City cast and I’ve become one of those girls who agrees that Lady Gaga’s choice of clothing is an insult to fashion. Clearly, I hold this topic in very high esteem and I hope all of you have greater appreciation for it too by the conclusion of this post.
A couple of criticisms that I would like to dispel about myself and fellow fashionistas include, but are not limited to, the notions that we are spoiled, materialistic, unintelligent, and lazy people who don’t believe in hard work, could care less about the value of a dollar, and are just searching for a rich man to feed our shopping habits. However, true fashion lovers acknowledge that you will not make it in the fashion world, or career world, without earning respect from co-workers, family, and friends. We work hard, play hard, and enjoy looking good while do both.
We do this by pushing ourselves in every task we are given, by shopping wisely,   by shopping creatively, and spending within our means. Though this isn’t always easy, it is necessary if you would like to become a truly a fashionable person in every way possible. In addition, the desire for diversity and variety in your own life is one of the most crucial qualities present within every lover of fashion. 
In my closet, I have clothes from Urban Outfitters, Anthropologie, and Nordstrom’s to $3 shirts from thrift stores. Ironically, I own a $12 sweater from H&M that I bought in November of my junior year in college, about 2 years ago, that I wear at least once a week during winter, and even more than that sometimes. It is an incredibly basic piece and goes with every scarf, piece of jewelry, and pair of boots I own. I am absolutely in love with this particular piece not only for its pure comfort, but for the potential it has for a rockin outfit every time I put it on. You do not need to spend a lot of money to look good, contrary to popular opinion. In fact, I believe it takes more talent to find a hot ensemble for a cheaper price anyway. 
I love a good bargain and live by the philosophy of getting more bang for my buck during all of my shopping sprees. Even though I definitely have my moments, especially with looks that I adore, I know how to find clothes for a steal-price. There are always gonna be clothes, however, that I have and will spend a pretty-penny on, but I know that I do not need to spend more money to have more style. I still don’t have the stomach to purchase $1000 Louboutin pumps without having a big girl job first!
Always remember, in many cases, less may be more when looking at a seemingly “boring” or “plain” piece during a shopping trip. Try and be a little creative and see what types of looks a basic shirt has the potential to produce. I love to mix and match, so if you feel as though your closet is lacking in any way, please think again and flirt with the idea of knowing which garments could go with other garments and vice versa. I have a pack of white Hanes T-Shirts in a boy’s small I purchased at Wal-Mart for less than $7 and I love them. They give me the freedom to mix and match, have fun with style, and work with my imagination. 
Every artist produces their best work on a blank canvas, so please work with your wardrobe because you never know what awesome looks you could come up with, what epiphanies you may arouse, or what fashion trends you may start. Fashion is an expression of who we are, and we should learn to embrace that. Whether you have cash to blow or none at all, remain creative and you will be well on your way to becoming a good friend to the world of fashion. When I wear an outfit I love, I feel as though I can conquer the world. I can accomplish any goal, dream, or objective when my ensemble represents who I am, simultaneously igniting the best in me, as it would for anybody with this mindset, even you.

1 comment:

  1. I'm 22 & I own Velcro shoes... I have my own personal style that I am proud to wear. I also wear black and gray Hanes T-shirts...quite frequently. Not much mixing and matching. Keeping it simple and comfortable. It's what I'm about. It mirrors my life.

    P.S. - Happy birthday, Eloise.

    ReplyDelete