Sunday, August 19, 2012

Scapegoating: Where’s the Respect?

Dr. Seuss' "The Sneetches"
The star-belly sneetches scapegoat
the plain-belly sneetches and vice versa
in the story.

Though I’m only 22 years old, I’ve lived long enough to know what pure judgement feels like. I know what it feels like when others attach unfair, misconstrued labels to my persona, and I know what it feels like to have fabricated stories told about me behind my back. I’m sure I’m not the only individual who has had these experiences and I’m certain that I’m not the only person who knows what it feels like to reside on the receiving end of spite. I know I am just one girl, and I can’t turn every evil eye away from me, or anyone else, over night, but I can make suggestions to improve these specific circumstances.
I have discovered that great moral strength stems from great self-respect. When others cannot see the positive in themselves, they often fail to see the positive in anyone else. These poor self perceptions sometimes result in personal unhappiness, which is temporarily relieved through gossip, impetuosity, and unnecessary prejudice. When others provide me with such treatment, it becomes difficult to ignore. It becomes difficult to stop and it becomes difficult to prevent. The helplessness that one may feel when receiving undeserving criticism, whether its blatant or done when the victim is not present, is a trap that is forced on the scapegoat by the perpetrator’s unsettling actions.
Though I can’t alter this facet of human nature, I have learned to embrace the fragility of life, acknowledging its worth as well as its true value. We can be a delicate species, we can be a malicious species, and we can even be a benevolent species. What category do you want to fall in? Will you be someone who is envious of others? Who is willing to destroy the spirit of someone who may have more money, power, or fame than you? Or will you offer compassion? Will you help someone who is down? Will you be there for a suffering individual who needs aid? This is strictly up to you, but I refuse to endorse the art of scapegoating as earnestly as I refuse to accept that role. Don’t blame others for your shortcomings, as they will only become shorter. As this behavior becomes a habit, it transforms into an unfortunately permanent fixture of one’s character.

1 comment: