Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Steven Spielberg's "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial": What Does the Film Mean to You?


“True friendship is sitting together in silence and feeling like it was the best conversation you’ve ever had.”


A film that has the capacity to capture the hearts of a universal audience is a true rarity. A motion picture that has maintained such a sense of palpable adoration since its release is even more extraordinary, affirming a level of immeasurable magnificence only found in works of true artistry. Steven Spielberg’s “E.T. the Extraterrestrial” embodies these astonishing, artistic elements, arranged with a captivating examination of the human condition, the detriments of ignorance, and the beauty of friendship. Though the latter are broad factors certifying “E.T.” as a work of art, a specific facet of the piece declaring its aesthetic credibility lies in Spielberg’s presentation of spirituality. In this brief investigation, I plan to discuss the themes of spirituality in Steven Spielberg’s “E.T. the Extraterrestrial,” specifically the unintentional inclusion of imagery similar to the most symbolic accounts in the Christian religion.
I understand that I’m not writing an essay for one of my college-level English courses, so I’ll stop being so “intellectual” at this point in the post and get to my point quickly. Basically, I was watching “E.T.” last night- which has since turned into one of my favorite childhood films- and I noticed several biblical references, the most prominent being E.T.’s brief death and his revival moments later. It really got me wondering whether or not Spielberg was metaphorically characterizing E.T. as a Jesus-like figure, comparing the “mothership” to God and E.T. to His otherworldly son. I did some research and, in fact, Spielberg was not intending to arrange a movie loosely based on the life of Jesus Christ. 
Regardless of whether or not “E.T. the Extraterrestrial” is a religious parable, the film is a powerfully spiritual tale, primarily for its depiction of a beautiful friendship. I am not a religious person by any means, and have no issues against people who are, but I do consider myself an enormously spiritual person. I really appreciate the idea that no matter what people or, in this case, creatures look like, no matter their background, or their story, these circumstances are irrelevant in a true friendship between good people. E.T. and Elliott shared a connection to a point that they could literally feel what the other was feeling, know what the other was thinking, and comprehend each other to an incredible degree. In some senses, with my true best friends, and even with my own family, no matter how pissed off I am or how irritated I may get with them, I share such a connection. I know what they think, I know their little tricks, and I understand the people they are.
The film’s success is because of its powerful spiritual foundation. Spielberg was able to reveal, celebrate, and examine one of the most human, transcending, and extraordinary components of mankind, displaying it as a universal experience and, to put it simply, it is what we know and understand as friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment